Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Miss Independent

Those of you that know me, probably know that I am not a girl who likes to readily admit that I need help. More specifically, a man's help. However, these last two days in my adventures of home decorating have shown me that perhaps I am not quite as fearlessly independent as I had hoped and imagined.

Let's start with curtains. I thought I could put up some yesterday afternoon, no prob. Ha. Well, I will blame my miserably failed attempt on either being blonde or the fact that my parents have helped me through every move-in. I didn't realize you had to drill holes in order to hang proper curtains. First bump in the road. Okay, I can handle that. I went next door (literally) to Lowe's and bought my very own little drill. Came back feeling awfully Rosie-the-Riveter'ish (the "We Can Do It!" girl), marked my holes and drilled. Guess what, the anchor does not fit in the hole. Don't know why, do not understand, but so tired of messing with it. My very uneducated guess is that my drill bit was not long enough for the anchors and screws that came with my curtain rod but what do I know? Oh also, I feel like I should add that while I am trying to do all this drilling and screwing, I am standing with one foot in the window sill and one on the bed... which means my feet are about 2 feet apart. Picture that and then think about how funny this must have been. It's okay to laugh, I am. So long story short- I still have no curtains, a mess of screws and anchors and curtain rod parts in my floor, and there is an interesting hole in the wall. Call me a big ol' baby, but I am going to wait for mom to come before I attempt curtains again. I need adult supervision.

Today brings with it another funny story involving me, a fight with a very large delivery box, and a sofa that comes to you 'assembly required'. Girls, let me just warn you right now: I know we like to think we are big and strong and can do all kinds of things on our own, but steer clear of those 'assembly required' purchases that exceed about 100 lbs. It's just not worth it and sometimes {as much as I hate to admit it} some things are just better left to a man.

I'll catch you up on the saga of the sofa later. I am going to go make one more attempt at putting the sucker together. Someone might want to make sure that I am alive and not trapped under a piece of furniture later... just sayin' :)

No comments:

Post a Comment