Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Friendly people & painted toes

Yesterday, at Wal-Mart, I was approached by a complete stranger.
It did not bother me that this man felt the need to talk to me,
but the topic of our brief conversation was a little bit odd...

Since yesterday was a beautiful day, I put on my little gold sandals with my freshly painted toenails (that word kinda grosses me out). Although not intentional, I guess I ended up color coordinating my top with the color of my toesies. No big deal. Well, what is no big deal to some is more noticeable to others- which is where the Wal-Mart man comes into play...

So, Mom and I are walking up towards the front, trying desperately to make our way out of the store with some of our life savings in tact and I see a man out of the corner of my eye. It appears that this man is not only walking in our general direction, but is apparently seeking me out. I politely smiled and thought that was all there was to that interaction, but that is where I was wrong. This man comes up to me and says,

"Wow, did you plan that? Your toes are the exact color of your shirt! I mean, you had to have planned that!"

At first I thought it was really weird. What would possess him to actually follow that thought through? Why not just return the obligatory smile? But then why would my thoughts automatically go to weird? So what if this man made this observation and decided to share. Why did it have to be weird? Maybe he was just being friendly. Sometimes I just need to change my train of thought... give people the benefit of the doubt. He wasn't weird, he was friendly, and there's nothing wrong with a little more friendliness.

And there you have it, a story of friendly people & painted toes.

I know, it's a riveting story. And You're welcome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment