Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Stories from Wal-Mart

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times- I am convinced that each and every horrible trip to Wal-Mart takes at least a year off of my life. I hate it. Unfortunately, a few things on my list today made a trip to Wal-Mart inevitable.

So, there were the usuals: rude shoppers, crying/screaming children, & understocked shelves, but a little out of the ordinary was the code call that came across the intercom.

"Code Adam" is the code that was given and it signals to workers and shoppers alike that there is a child missing. Today the little guy was a 10 year old wearing camo shorts and a lime green shirt. With this urgent announcement, you could see all the Wal-Mart employees become busy worker bees, looking for this child. Of course, my teacher instinct kicked in and I was looking for a little lime green shirt at every turn I made. I won't draw out the story to be some big dramatic thing, because it really wasn't. After a few "all-clear" calls over department walkie-talkies the kiddo was found in the, you guessed it, toy section. The main reason I wanted to share this story was not really about the saga of the lost kid, but because of something overheard directly after the incident.

In response to the happy announcement, most shoppers applauded and seemed relieved that the boy was safe... but then I heard the most honest words come from what could only be described as a truly Southern mama. As soon as the clapping ceased, this is what I heard come from one aisle over, "Glad that little stinker was found, but Lordy I would wear his bottom out. My kids woulda' got tore up over somethin' like that. Bust his butt."

I could not help but laugh! I am sure that is what my mom would have been thinking and what's scarier, I was thinking the same thing. I'll be honest- I'm glad some people still believe in the power of the spanking (within reason). I got a spanking almost every day of my life for about 2 or 3 years and I can tell you I am all the better for it. Thanks, Mom & Dad :)

Glad the kiddo was safely returned to his worried mom, but also hoping that he knows better from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment