For about a month now I had been planning on moving to Waco on Thursday, August 2o. Problem was, I was supposed to be at Graduate Student Orientation on Wednesday, August 19. I made an attempt to talk my apartment people into letting me move in early but was not successful... so I was just going to suck it up and deal with it and drive super early two days in a row (which would total 4 hours of driving each day). Wellllll, here's where things get interesting- so my mom calls the apartment people, having decided that she just does not want me driving back and forth. I told her "Mom, I already asked and they said no", hahaha well the joke was on me. Moms must have some kind of power that non-moms do not because guess what- she fixed it. They basically told my mom "Sure, come anytime on Tuesday, August 18!". Not what I got. Cool. Soooo it's all fine and dandy, right?
Except not. See, I had been planning all along to move on Thursday, so on Monday morning I was still thinking I had those few days to think about what I wanted to take to and pack it all up. After Mom talked to them Monday she called me at about 11:30 and that's when the stress set in. If you know me at all, you know I am a huuuuge stresser. I get anxious and upset about the tiniest things, it's a problem, I know. So I sat there for about 2 minutes trying to decide if I was going to start packing, or do laundry, or just cry. Got a little flustered then decided I should speed pack. So the past two days have been crazy. Being a heavy packer in most cases, I tried as hard as possible to think like a minimalist. Ha. I had to do about 4 loads of laundry (one of which included my giant bedspread that I was practically begging to dry), dig boxes out from the garage that had been there since my College Station move (sad), and make about 1329 trips to WalMart. I hate moving.
Fast forward to Tuesday, in Waco... Get to my lovely little apartment after about a 2 hour drive and guess what is on the office door... "Closed early, open at 8:30am" hahahaha I kid you not. We're on the phone trying to call someone and of course, just getting an answering service. While Mom is on the phone Dad decides to go with the more invasive method-- knocking on the door repeatedly. At this point we are thinking I'm going to have to get a hotel and unload all the stuff in Mom's car, aye yi yi. But, after about five minutes of knocking (more like banging now) on the door, the office people opened! Ta Da! So long story short, I moved in.
Stay tuned for later posts which will most likely involve my excursions in Waco, i.e. getting lost over and over. I haven't been here for even 12 hours and I swear I've been lost 9 times. Oh, and I HATE the Garmin, I think now I will call her Helga or something horrible. She gets mad and yells "recalculating" at me every 2 minutes. Although, I know I probably shouldn't blame her because we haven't updated the maps in forever, oops.
Going to bed, because I have to be up at the crack of dawn for orientation. I feel like a baby freshman again, except I'm an old lady. Yep, a 22 year old old lady. I will be very disgruntled if they make us do silly team building things or awkward ice breakers. Crossing my fingers for a no to both of those.
On the plus side... look how pretty my new school is (don't confuse that comment, A&M is still my home!)
No comments:
Post a Comment