Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pretty every day

So there's this girl in my class...

She's the little one that's so enamored with teachers. She can be very, very clingy at times, but let me tell you... that kid is one big, fat confidence booster.

Even on the days when I'm too lazy to finish drying my hair or don't go for the full face of makeup, this one cannot stop herself from giving a compliment. Some days they are more like compliments on work ethic and character: "you're doing a really good job teaching us" or "you are very kind" (her words, not mine). However, most days, in fact, pretty much every day they are more along the lines of this: "you're the prettiest ever", "you're pretty", or my personal fav "you look very beautiful today". No, I'm not lying.

Like I said, these "pretty" comments come at least once a day. And while they are very sweet, those days where my hair is in a rat's nest and my makeup is half rubbed off, her compliments seem to become a bit insincere and undeserved. So today, while feeling rather unbecoming, little girl comes chirping up to my table. "Miss Steel, I just want you to know you are very pretty today." Usually I would respond with a generic "thank you" or "thanks, please go sit down", but today I chose a different approach. I looked at little miss upon her compliment and said, "Thanks sweetie, but you say that every day"... to which she lovingly replied, "Well I know, but you are pretty every day". Cute.

So what's the point? None, really. Just thought it was cute. And hey, who am I to judge her opinion? If the kid thinks I'm pretty every day, why should I rain on her parade and lead her to think otherwise? :)

If you are ever in need of a good compliment, stop by our second grade classroom. My little cheerful child will be more than happy to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment